Thursday, March 31, 2011

What's up with Gluten-Free?

A lot of people have varying degrees of sensitivity to gluten, a protein found in certain grains, the best known being wheat. The problem can range from a mild intolerance to a major allergy, and even the dreaded Celiac Disease.

This is not a trifling problem, and has been around for a lot longer than many realize. Like other allergies, until it's recognized for what it is, sufferers have had to endure a variety of diagnoses and treatments, often ineffective. I am one of them.

Gluten intolerance wasn't even a topic of anyone's conversations over 20 years ago when I was suffering from an unknown condition that left me with severe stomach and gut pain after eating.

Allergy testing at the time didn't even include gluten, so I was diagnosed (provisionally) with an ulcer. But the usual treatments had no effect at all and I continued to suffer. At times, I was simply afraid to eat and would go for days without a meal.

Finally, a friend casually mentioned that it was ironic that he was a wheat farmer but was allergic to his product!

Once my condition came into focus then, I learned how to deal with it by controlling my diet. Unfortunately, though this condition is becoming better understood now, it's still considered extremely controversial, as the skeptics refuse to accept its existence.

For now, as with all alternative health options, it's up to each of us to do our own research and personal experimentation to find what works best.

I have a chapter on gluten intolerance in my book, Alternative Healing Choices, available as an ebook as well as a Kindle version.

You can also search the Internet for information by using the search term, "gluten free." Many web sites have sprung up on this important topic, and you can find everything you need to know, including recipes.

No comments: